The mother of the Minnesota shooting victim, a nurse, was working in the intensive care unit when her wounded daughter came

Published On:
The mother of the Minnesota shooting victim, a nurse, was working in the intensive care unit when her wounded daughter came

Sophia Forchas, one of the 15 children injured in Wednesday’s deadly shooting at a Minneapolis Catholic school, is a nurse in the pediatric intensive care unit. She was working at the hospital when her daughter and others arrived for emergency treatment.

“Her mother, a Pediatric Critical Care nurse, arrived at work to help during the tragedy, before knowing it was her children’s school that was attacked, and that her daughter was critically injured,” according to a GoFundMe page organized by Forchas’ father Thomas.

“Sophia was shot during the attack and is currently in critical condition in the ICU,” according to the posting. “She has already had emergency surgery, and her medical team is doing everything possible to stabilize her. Her journey ahead will be long, uncertain, and extremely difficult—but she is strong, and she is not alone.”

The Independent contacted the family for comment.

Hennepin County Medical Center told People magazine that Forchas’ mother works in the pediatric ICU, where the 12-year-old is in critical condition alongside other shooting victims.

“I have spent a good portion of the day with Sophia’s family at Hennepin County Medical Center, where Sophia went into surgery immediately because she was one of the shooting victims who had been critically injured,” Father Timothy Sas of St. Mary’s Greek Orthodox Church in Minneapolis wrote on Facebook on Wednesday. “We prayed and comforted each other throughout the day.”

Sas describes Forchas as a seventh-grade student who is “immersed in the life of the Church together with her extended family of several generations who are devoted members of our congregation.”

During the early-morning shooting, which occurred as Annunciation Catholic School students and local parishioners were in the middle of the first Mass of the school year, two children were killed and 18 others were injured.

Sophia Forchas’ younger brother was inside the school during the shooting, but he was unharmed.

“The trauma of witnessing such a terrifying event — and knowing his sister was critically injured — is something no child should ever experience,” the message on the GoFundMe site says.

Suspect Robin Westman, formerly known as Robert, died from a self-inflicted gunshot as police arrived at the scene. Westman’s mother previously donated to the school and worked as a secretary at Annunciation Church until her retirement in 2021.

Authorities are still investigating potential motives for the shooting.

On Thursday, the parents of the two children who died in the horrific attack identified them.

The first, eight-year-old Fletcher Merkel, was named by his father. In an emotional statement, Jesse Merkel stated that his son adored his family, friends, fishing, cooking, and “any sports he was allowed to play.”

“Yesterday, a coward decided to take our 8-year-old son Fletcher away from us,” she said. “Because of their actions, we will never be able to hold him, talk to him, play with him, or watch him mature into the wonderful young man he was on his way to becoming.

“While the hole in our lives will never be filled, we hope that our family will find healing over time. I hope the families of the other victims can find something similar.

He added, “Please remember Fletcher for the person he was rather than the act that took his life. Give your children extra hugs and kisses today. We love you, Fletcher. “You will always be with us.”

Harper Moyski, 10, was named in a statement released today on behalf of her parents.

“Harper was a bright, joyful, and deeply loved 10-year-old whose laughter, kindness, and spirit touched everyone who knew her,” said Michael Moyski and Jackie Flavin. “We are heartbroken not only as parents, but also for Harper’s sister, who adored her big sister and is grieving an unimaginable loss. As a family, we are shattered, and words cannot express the depth of our grief.”

The statement continued, “No family should ever have to go through this kind of pain. We urge our leaders and communities to take meaningful action to address gun violence and the mental health crisis in our country.

“Change is possible, and it is necessary — so that Harper’s story does not become yet another in a long line of tragedies.”

Other victims

Eighth-grader Endre Gunter, is now recovering from surgery after being shot twice in the stomach, according to a GoFundMe page set up by his aunt.

According to his family, before being rushed to surgery, the 13-year-old asked a surgeon, “Can you say a prayer with me?”

“The surgeon later told us that Endre not only survived the surgery, but also fought through a terrifying event with courage, inspiring the entire medical team. “That moment of prayer, as well as Endre’s resilience, will live on in our family forever,” the page description read.

Gunter is recovering from surgery in the hospital, surrounded by loved ones, and receiving the best medical care possible.

“While the road ahead is long, we are extremely grateful that he is still with us. The emotional and physical healing that lies ahead will require time and resources,” the family said, adding: “It’s impossible to make sense of this act of violence against children in a place that should have been a haven of peace and safety.

“In the face of unimaginable fear and pain, Endre showed strength and faith beyond his years.”

Another GoFundMe page named an injured student Victor, whom his family refers to as “Vic.” Victor was identified as “one of the brave victims who survived the tragedy that unfolded” on Wednesday.

“His selfless actions help to save many lives, but he and his sister are injured in the process. Vic, along with his family, has begun the long journey of recovery,” according to his uncle’s fundraising page.

SOURCE

Leave a Comment

error: Content is protected !!